At Cabra Castle Hotel, we take the potential negative effects on the environment that the activities of our business can cause very seriously.
In line with this we will continually strive to improve our environmental practices in a range of areas including energy and water usage. We will also continue to develop a number of ecotourism experiences for our customers to enjoy.
The following are actions that have been taken by us and continue to be taken to minimise our footprint on the environment:
- Membership of REPAK. Repak is a business led compliance scheme licensed by the Irish government to collectively fund recovery and recycling of packaging on behalf of Irish producers.
- All food waste is collected for composting
- All waste office paper is collected for recycling
- Cardboard packaging, newspapers, magazines, glass, cans, plastic bottles, used light bulbs, ink cartridges and batteries are all returned to our supplies or collected for recycling. We are committed to further reducing waste to landfill.
- All heating, hot water, refrigeration and electrical equipment are serviced and maintained annually
- We have energy usage monitoring system. We are gradually replacing light bulbs used in the hotel with low energy LED and halogen versions.
- Sensor activated lighting has been installed in locations throughout the hotel where appropriate
- We bottle water on the premises for use in our guest bedrooms and restaurant. All glass bottles are reused.
- Cooking oil is bought in bulk containers and drawn off in smaller batches as required for the cooking areas
- We have established a herb garden for use by our kitchen
- As much as possible, our food is sourced from local producers thereby reducing food miles (the distance that food must travel to get from farm to fork). Products such as meat, fresh fish, salads, eggs and cheeses are mostly from the locality.
- Bulk containers are used in guest rooms, for items such as shampoo and shower gel. These can be refilled by accommodation staff as required.
- Juices are delivered in bulk and made available from dispensers at breakfast buffet
- Packaging elimination at breakfast: yoghurt and jam are available in large serving dishes, while butter is available in small portions on plate placed on each table
- Battery operated candles are gradually replacing single use candles throughout the hotel
- Over the past 25 years, our tree planting has created a new habitat for birds and other wildlife
- We send e-voices where possible to reduce the amount of paper that we use and also re-use paper at the front desk and offices
- We advertise online and send promotional material via email to reduce the amount of paper used and delivery miles if posted
- We encourage environmentally sustainable tourism by encouraging guests to walk in our 1km wooded walkway while staying at the hotel, providing appropriate footwear for guests when necessary
- We have 2 electric car charging points for use by hotel guests which can be requested on check in at reception
- We use web based marketing activities as much as possible. Recycled paper and card are used in the printing of brochures and leaflets
- The life of linen is extended as table linens / towelling discoloured and no longer fit for table usage are recycled by housekeeping and kitchen staff for cleaning /service purposes
- Closure of our Golf course to allow the 88 acre grounds to return to nature
Our future objectives are:
- To produce our own vegetables for use in our restaurant
- To further reduce our waste generation with particular emphasis on eliminating use of plastics
- To provide opportunities for guests to reduce their contribution to carbon generation
- Develop the surrounding grounds to encourage native shrubbery, wildlife and fauna
- Increase staff awareness of recycling and waste management policies through training and therefore further reduce wastage in all areas
As our guest, you too can play your part!
- Towels left hanging in the bathroom will be left for you to re-use, others will be changed
- Please try not to run water unnecessarily and inform a member of staff if you notice any leaks
- Please turn off all lights and electrical equipment when leaving your room
- Please close all windows if the heat is on in your room. To regulate heating, turn the radiator valve on/off to suit your requirements. Please contact reception is assistance is required.
- Place glass and plastic bottles, used batteries, newspapers and magazines in the bedroom dustbin. These will be collected by housekeeping for recycling. Please use the bathroom dustbin for general waste.
- We welcome any questions or suggestions. Please do not hesitate to contact us at reception.